The Student News Site of Carl Sandburg Middle School

The Tiger Tribune

Build Community by Having Open Gym

Editorial Board

CS should have an open gym from 2:41 – 4:30 PM. on Fridays and Mondays. It would give students something to do and allow them hang out with their friends. Students could walk, get a ride, or take the bus home after it’s over.

Having it on Fridays will help students start the weekend off great. Having it on Mondays will help students reenergize after weekends. Students are usually tired and eager to do something fun at the end of Monday.

This should be easy because there is volleyball and after school clubs. We have enough gymnasiums to do it. This would bring students more together as a community. It’s our CODE! It’s all about knowing each other and building a friendships or bonds that will never break.

Hire supervisors by having a signup sheet for volunteers. Some volunteers can be high schoolers looking to get some community service hours or teachers in the school.  

You’re probably thinking, “All this is what lunch is for.” Yes, but during lunch students don’t get to go outside unless it’s above 40 degrees. Students also don’t have equipment to use.

Perhaps you’re thinking, “That’s what physical education is for.” Some students may disagree or not like a unit. An open gym gives students a variety of sports like soccer, running, basketball, volleyball, and more to choose from.

We recognize there are limits for how many students can participate. Have a reserve list with a maximum of 20 people.