The Tiger Tribune

Pines — Cones or Apples?

Danny O., Blogger

Strap on your seat belts because I’m about to teach y’all a thing.

Have you ever heard of a pineapple? You know, those trees with the branches that hurt if you touch them? Oh wait, those are pine trees. Oops. Simple mistake. Anyone could make it. Pineapples are those red things that hang off of apple trees. Never mind, those are apples. Why are pineapples named pineapples? Is it because they’re just apples with pines? Of course not. That would be easy to blog about and the world hates me.*

A long time ago, in a land far far away, not too far away actually, it was first discovered in the Caribbean island of Guadalupe. That was French territory, but literally right next to the Americas. It was a long time ago.) A famous sailor named Christopher Columbus was given credit for discovering a land that’s literally named after someone else. That’s all because a guy named Amerigo Vespucci went to the “West Indies” after Columbus was like, “Bruh, that ain’t the West Indies.” Then he just went and named it after himself. Not reallybut that’s beside the point.

When Columbus sailed the ocean blue, his second trip came upon a place called Guadalupe. He found a thing that sorta looked like a pinecone, except back then they called pinecones pineapples, probably because they grew on trees. Columbus and his crew looked at each other and were like, “What?” (Probably) So they decided pineapple was a more fitting name for those big, funny looking yellow things, and started calling them pineapples. Personally, I refuse to believe this was on purpose.

What think happened, was Columbus was like “Look at these pineapples!” and his crew was like, “Dude, that’s a fruit.” Columbus decided to play it off by saying, “Oh yeah, that’s uh…what I wanted to call it.”

Also, who knew pineapples didn’t grow on trees?

*Spoiler alert: Of course, I could have just linked this and been done, but that’s no fun.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Pines — Cones or Apples?”

1. Erika on March 7th, 2017 11:24 am

I think that your blog was funny! I also wonder why pineapples are named like that.

2. Kaelyn on March 10th, 2017 3:37 pm

I’ve never even thought about this actually. Your blogs always get me to think about something. Although not necessarily important, they’re very intriguing.

3. Nick on March 12th, 2017 7:58 pm

I think is funny! It had good information I did not know like that pineapples grow on short plants which I thought was very interesting.

4. Laine G. on May 15th, 2017 12:11 pm

I like your blog. It is super funny and entertaining to read. You did an amazing job writing you blog while making funny at the same time.

5. Paige M. on May 16th, 2017 11:41 am

I think your blog is funny! It’s really intriguing seeing what you have to say. Keep writing!

6. Manus M. on November 27th, 2017 8:12 am

I thought that this was very interesting. I learned so much about Christopher Columbus that I never knew before.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Science & Technology

Creating Toothpaste Even an Elephant Can Use

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

Examining Ghosts

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

Everything You Know About Dog Breeds is Wrong

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

Black Holes

• Science & Technology

Do You Know the History of the Apple Logo?

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

The Aftermath of the (Mostly Big) Big Bang

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

The Life of Wolves

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

The Superior Console

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

Apple vs. Android

• Pines — Cones or Apples?

Science & Technology

The Elemelons

The Student News Site of Carl Sandburg Middle School
Pines — Cones or Apples?