The Student News Site of Carl Sandburg Middle School

The Tiger Tribune

Helpful Art Materials

Mikayla O., Blogger

Extension art is an art program in CS, where students get accepted for an all year class that involves a lot of work and commitment. Mrs. Fischer teaches all of the kids how to use all different art supplies.

Ever since 6th grade she has been trying to teach us all that no one is born being good at painting, chalk, or pencil. This is all something you have to workImage result for art supplies for. It takes practice and patience.  She also gave advice on how to use all different mediums.

Chalk

When using chalk it is very important to use every finger on your hand. It doesn’t matter what colors go on which finger. However, you don’t want your pinks to mix with your blues and your blues to mix with your whites. This is a very good tip.

Paint

I’m sure if you’re a painter, or you just really love t0 paint, you already know this. This is for people who don’t know much or even the basics. Never use an ordinary color. You should always mix different colors together because then everything you do will be yours, even the colors!

Pencils

Pencils can be difficult. You can use your fingers, but there are very helpful materials for your pencil work to look better shaded. Keep your hands clean. You can buy these at any craft store and the material is call a blending stump. These are shaped like pencils and help blend very well. It’s almost shaped like a pencil just a little bit bigger. To keep the point on you never use a pencil sharpener, you must use sandpaper.

Erasers

You might think there is only one kind of eraser out there, the standard school eraser…wrong! There are three main erasers we use in extension art. I really like kneaded erasers. They’re my favorite.  If you don’t know what this type of eraser is, it says it in the name, you can knead it. The difference with this eraser and a standard school eraser is that since you can knead it you can erase really small things because you can shape it to a point.It also takes a lot longer to wear off. Now if you’re using really thick paper and you don’t want the eraser to tear the paper you should probably use a gum eraser. This particular eraser is meant to crumble and fall apart, because the eraser itself is supposed to fall apart not the paper.

I hope all of this was helpful, have fun drawing!

1 Comment

One Response to “Helpful Art Materials”

1. Freddie F. on October 2nd, 2017 8:37 am

I like when you talk about the objects in the blog, because it has very good details.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Helpful Art Materials