The Student News Site of Carl Sandburg Middle School

The Tiger Tribune

The Tiger Tribune

The Tiger Tribune

Photo from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheer_%28TV_series%29
Sports
5 6 7 8 Cheer
Alexa Puga, Writer • April 25, 2024
https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/563111
(WRECKGAR TFA)
A&E
Transformers Character Ramble
Stormii Salgado, Writer • April 25, 2024
Photo from https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kanye-west-announces-2024-presidential-bid-amid-controversy/
A&E
Do you know Kanye West as well as me?
Alex Strachn, Writer • April 25, 2024
Brian Bulkas story
Opinion
Brian Bulka's story
Jimmy Pogachnik, Writer • April 24, 2024
Champions League Quarter Finals (Who will go through semis?)
Sports
Emanuel Guerrero, Writer • April 24, 2024

Become Pro at Volleyball

Be pro and have fun during vb!
AFP via Getty Images
USA’s Justine Wong-Orantes hits the ball in the women’s semi-final volleyball match between USA and Serbia during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at Ariake Arena in Tokyo on August 6, 2021. (Photo by Yuri Cortez / AFP) (Photo by YURI CORTEZ/AFP via Getty Images)

Amazing pass

If you want to play volleyball you will need to get some things to help you play more comfortably, like some knee pads and tennis shoes.

To pass you will have to put your hands together and wrap your hand around a fist and then put your thumbs on top so you don’t break your fingers.  This is the original way to pass and a position most people use.

Another way is to put your hands like a pancake and then put your thumbs over so it looks like a pancake then your thumbs represent the “sausages.” And those are the two ways to pass in vb. I personally like doing the pancake way because I feel it makes my forarms a more flat platform for the ball to bounce off.

To properly set you have to create a triangle with your thumbs and pointer fingers, when you’re gonna have to bend your elbows to push the ball up. Make sure to use your fingertips for a clean set. If you struggle setting, I suggest you train your wrists. You can use a soccer ball, a basketball, or just a regular one. You just have to practice pushing it up and that will make you stronger, you will then be able to set higher and smoother. Setting is honestly pretty hard so I really recommend doing this strategy.

Awesome cheer

Do you just get tired of clapping and doing the same cheer over and over again? Volleyball etiquette is your solution. Volleyball etiquette is basically cheering on your team. One of the normal cheers is yelling out “ACE!” when your team serves and the other team shanks it or misses the ball.

Now for the fun cheers. If the other team shanks a ball yell out “To the window, to the wall, we saw you shank that ball!” You could also move your arms side to side to point to the walls. This isn’t my favorite honestly but it’s fun to move your arms around. Another cheer is when your team blocks a ball put your arms up and yell “OOUUU!” also move your fingers around. I love doing this one because I love doing the “OUU” part. It’s so fun to me. These are just some that I know but you can also make your own!!