The Tiger Tribune

The Case of Nurse Baucus

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Case of Nurse Baucus

Ellie R., Bryanni H., and Cassidy G.

Have you ever had a bloody nose, aching stomach, or a throbbing head at school before? If you have, especially with flu season right now, you probably have visited Nurse Baucus or Nurse Gray.

When students first enter, Nurse Baucus asks them what’s wrong. Often they complain about their heads, stomachs, or some part of their body that hurts.

Sometimes she’ll take temperatures. If they’re not average, students go home right away. If they’re not bad, students lie down for a good ten to 20 minutes, after that she gives them an ice pack and sends them to class.

On a slow normal day the nurses will see 20 to 30 students, but on a busy day it’s 40 to 50 students.

Besides treating patients, Nurse Baucus keeps busy.“When no kids come in I do paperwork, or if it’s a slow day I help the ladies in the office,” she said.  The most difficult part of her job is the large amount of paperwork she must complete.

Every time a student visits she has to fill out why and when they came in. She sends that to the government at the end of the year. She also keeps track of which students take medication, what they take, and when they take it.

She was responsible for collecting student physicals by October 15th. If she did not have one, the student had to leave school. Physicals are also needed to play sports.

Nurse Baucus has been a nurse for over 31 years and a school nurse for 12 of those years. She’s been at CS for a year and a half.

Ever since she was 4, Nurse Baucus dedicated her life to being a nurse. Despite her dreams, she faced plenty of obstacles along the way. She started out in high school taking various medical classes.  She went to Seton Hall University in New Jersey for college and then transferred to the Charles E. Gregory School of Nursing. She graduated with her nursing license from there. She became a nurse at the age of 24. She recently attended National Louis University in Wheeling and got her School Nurse Certification.

According to Nurse Baucus when her kids were younger, they went to Fremont School.  She used to volunteer there and they found out she was a nurse. The nurse at the school asked if she wanted to job share and she agreed.

“It worked out great because you get to go to school with your kids, come home with your kids, you have all the same days off, and you get to help a lot of other kids you know,” she said.

Nurse Baucus’  hobbies are sewing, gardening, and traveling. She’s been to Spain, Canada, Mexico, Scotland, Australia, Arizona, and South Carolina. She said she’d be a fashion designer if she wasn’t here at CS, but she enjoys what she does.

“Having a nurse helps a lot with the kid’s education,” she said. “[I] love to keep us healthy, happy, and in school.”

About the Writers
Ellie R., Reporter

Ellie has been dedicated to drawing ever since she was three years old. She used to go to Jack London Middle School, but now she goes to CS. She has one...

Bryanni H., Reporter

Bryanni is a 12-year-old 7th grade student who recently moved to Mundelein in the Fall of 2016. She loves to bake and play the violin. She has two brothers...

Cassidy G., Reporter

Cassidy is a normal 7th grader here at CS. She is a new student that moved from WOMS. She is a fast runner and enjoys it a lot. She likes hanging out with...

12 Comments

12 Responses to “The Case of Nurse Baucus”

1. Lilly Fischer on January 10th, 2017 7:18 am

Thank you to our terrific nursing staff!

2. Alejandro on February 15th, 2017 11:07 am

Thank you for helping us.

3. Ann Baucus on January 10th, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you Cassidy, Bryanni and Ellie! This is such a sweet article! I really appreciate your professionalism as journalists. I enjoyed talking and sharing my story with you. I hope other students can see that nursing is a wonderful career and school nursing is just one aspect of the health care profession. “The Tiger Tribune” ROCKS!!

4. Victoria on January 10th, 2017 12:25 pm

You guys did a great job on your story. 🙂

5. Roger on January 18th, 2017 12:38 pm

You guys did really good on this article.

6. Erik on January 18th, 2017 3:04 pm

This article is very unique. You guys did a great job.

7. Benny Q. on January 19th, 2017 11:57 am

Nice job on the story.

8. Ethan on January 19th, 2017 12:11 pm

Very great job describing in your writing. It’s nice to learn a little something about our school staff every day. Keep up the good writing.

9. Israel on January 19th, 2017 12:13 pm

It’s amazing how she stayed dedicated to become a nurse! Great story!

10. Lorenzo on January 19th, 2017 12:14 pm

Great job on the story.

11. Cooper on February 7th, 2017 12:26 pm

Good job with details in this story!

12. Ksenia on February 15th, 2017 11:07 am

Wow! This is such a great story.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

News

New Assistant Principal Arrives at CS

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

News

6th Grade Students Study Egypt and More

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

News

Mr. Gange and Officer Messina Create New Safety Program

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

News

2016-17 Year in Review

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

News

Quint Defines and Celebrates Being Bilingual

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

News

Rife Launches NitroBall Unit

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

News

Is Teaching Science Fun?

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

Opinion

Ms. Seibt Hones Reading and Attitudes

• Video

Humor Exploration

• The Case of Nurse Baucus

Opinion

Turning Trash into Plants

The Student News Site of Carl Sandburg Middle School
The Case of Nurse Baucus