The Tiger Tribune

“Lego Ninjago” Presents a Brand New Story

New Season's Ideas Inspired From the Show and 2017 Movie

Zain H., Reporter

This is the eighth season of “Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu.” What makes this season vastly different from previous ones is that this season is based on last year’s “The LEGO Ninjago Movie.”

This season, the ninjas (Kai, Jay, Cole, Zane, Lloyd, and Nya) are trying to prevent the Sons of Garmadon from obtaining three special Oni Masks. If they succeed, Lloyd’s father, Lord Garmadon, will be resurrected. The ninja must protect Ninjago, and the royal family, from the evil villain’s return.

The writing is excellent. Many of the characters talk like real people. Zane and P.I.X.A.L. talk like robots. Occasionally, a sentence may sound strange, usually when Jay speaks. Jay’s complaint about a villain’s four arms stood out.

The acting exceeds previous seasons. The cast say their lines well, but they sometimes talk too fast or slow. The new voice for Lloyd is a welcome addition.Unfortunately, the other ninja do not sound similar to their new designs.  The other new characters (every member in the Sons of Garmadon, the royal family, and Hutchins) don’t detract or add anything special. This is a missed opportunity.

The directing is amazing because there are many new characters this season and the plot continues to thrill. The director seamlessly adds things from previous seasons and the movie. It’s not an easy task.

The visuals and special effects are fascinating. Characters have changed to look similar to the movie. The show also has new intro. It now features Ninjago City in a delightful way. An impressive special effect is the new Spinjitzu designs.

The music this season has been disappointing. It’s limited and the commonly heard, “The Weekend Whip,” is not in this season. Still, the breathtaking score leaves viewers nervous and excited.

This season has evoked so many feelings. There have been many funny moments. In one episode Zane, used his ice power to freeze a villain, accidentally freezes Kai.  There have been many eye-popping scenes including Lloyd’s chase of the Sons of Garmadon across Ninjago City. Some important characters have passed away and their impact of their deaths have left their mark. Overall, this season is very gripping, even with limited music. 

“Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu” can be watched on the Cartoon Network, its app, and website. 4 PAWS