The Tiger Tribune

Not Yo Momma’s Cooking

Quentin W., Blogger

Potatoes

Last night my Dad made baked potatoes with a refreshing salad of mixed vegetables. The main part of the dish was the red baked potatoes with melty cheeses and delightful seasoning. When you added sour cream it topped the whole thing off. It was comfort food at its best. The potatoes where nice, and warm, and not too tough, or not too soft, made you feel so good inside. The salad was my favorite part of the dish, it had red cabbage, carrots, radishes, mixed bell peppers, blue cheese, cucumbers, zucchini, and a secret dressing. The salad was my favorite part ‘cause it gave a different element to the comfort food of the potatoes. It was a nice fresh element to it and tasted really good. The dressing was nice and light and was the perfect combination with the blue cheese. All in all, that was a pretty good meal. When my dad was about five years old he started experimenting with food. He would just put a bunch of stuff together and would see if it tasted good. He started cooking with his mom when he was younger and then when he got into his teens he started cooking for real.

Chicken

Last night my Dad cooked dinner again, and he made the best chicken! He grilled it perfectly so that it wasn’t dry and was still moist, and he didn’t char the skin (I don’t even think that there was skin on it). He put this really good barbecue sauce on it, Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Golden Mustard Barbecue sauce. The way my dad grills chicken, and when he adds that barbecue sauce on it, it makes me love chicken even more (which is saying a lot). Another thing about the chicken, is was really tender, you bit into it and it fell right off the bone, that made it so much better. Another thing that my Dad made that night was, RIBS! I love the way my Pops makes ribs, always tender, juicy, and plenty of barbecue and spices. Although this time, they weren’t as tender as they normally are, but not by much. Along with the chicken and ribs, he made frozen corn and… sweet potato gnocchi! Even though he just buys the frozen stuff from Trader Joe’s, it is still pretty good. Always nice and soft and full of flavor. I can’t wait to eat real gnocchi one day!

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Not Yo Momma’s Cooking”

1. Isaac R. on September 14th, 2017 4:55 pm

I like how you told a story about your Dad making them and they look really good.

2. Kelly N. on September 14th, 2017 8:25 pm

First off, I love the title. Second I love the descriptive detail and how you show and don’t tell. Third, it sounds really good and now I really want to try it (^-^).

3. Abigail C. on September 16th, 2017 12:02 am

That sounds like an amazing meal. I love potatoes. I also love eating so it sounds amazing, I would love to eat that. I wish I was there to taste the amazing potatoes of which you speak of. My favorite toppings on potatoes are sour cream, cheese, and chives, but yours sounds delicious as well.

4. Libby F. on September 18th, 2017 8:23 am

I really like how you described the salad and potatoes really nicely with very descriptive words.

5. Matthew C. on September 18th, 2017 9:15 am

Your title is definitely an eye catcher, along with the image. I also liked how detailed the descriptions are.

6. Aurelio S. on September 19th, 2017 9:37 pm

Man! Those potatoes sound very good with a bit of hot sauce on top. My mouth is watering because of your deep description of the baked potato.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Not Yo Momma’s Cooking

Food

You’ll Give Thanks to Franks For the Memories

• Food

Making Pancakes with Alex

• Food

What a Piece of Cake

• Not Yo Momma’s Cooking

Food

A Cancer Fighting Food?

• Not Yo Momma’s Cooking

Food

S’mores Notebooks…

• Not Yo Momma’s Cooking

Food

Chocolate Caramel cupcakes – A treat from heaven

• Food

Going Bananas for Banana Bread

• Food

We’re In The Past of Mexican Food

• Food

Delicious Treats From Heaven

• Not Yo Momma’s Cooking

Food

Ba da ba ba ba. IT’S CHEAP!

The Student News Site of Carl Sandburg Middle School
Not Yo Momma’s Cooking