The Tiger Tribune

A Cancer Fighting Food?

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Cancer Fighting Food?

Kelly N., Blogger

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Overview

Kimchi is like the side of fries that come with a burger, except a lot healthier.

One of the many kimchi Types, RadishKimchi (김치) is a very common side dish found in every korean restaurant. There are about 200 different types of kimchi, however, the most popular and common is the Tongbaechu-Kimchi.

Also known as the napa cabbage kimchi, this version was made after 1800 c.e.

Healthy or Stealthy Trick?

Healthy! Kimchi, along with being delicious is extremely helpful for your body. According to research from the J Cancer Prev (PubMed.gov), Kimchi, ” Especially, the W. cibaria and L. plantarum found in kimchi have many effects, like anti-inflammatory, immune modulating, and blood cholesterol reducing activity, which may account for their cancer preventive/anticancer potential.

These probiotic lactic acid bacteria in kimchi can not only be used as an antimicrobials in foods but also be implemented in developing functional foods to reduce the risk of colon cancer.”

Napa cabbage kimchiAccording to J Med Food ( PubMed.gov), “Health functionality of kimchi, based upon our research and that of other, includes anticancer, antiobesity, anticonstipation, colorectal health promotion, probiotic properties, cholesterol reduction, fibrolytic effect, antioxidative and antiaging properties, brain health promotion, immune promotion, and skin health promotion.”

6 Comments

6 Responses to “A Cancer Fighting Food?”

1. Alessia B. on October 11th, 2017 8:50 am

Wow, this is a great blog. It’s very detailed and interesting. I never knew that!

2. Isaac R. on October 11th, 2017 5:22 pm

I really like the title you picked and your choice.

3. Mikayla O. on October 11th, 2017 6:20 pm

This was so interesting and informative.

4. Quentin W. on October 12th, 2017 8:28 am

I enjoyed reading this blog. I like how you gave plenty of facts and sources to why Kimchi is healthy. I would’ve kept reading if you talked more about the food itself and how it was made. I also wonder what is in a typical dish.

5. Erik A. on November 20th, 2017 6:24 pm

Wow! I really liked how you described kimchi being very healthy and how it fights many life threatening diseases. I learned something new today!

6. Sam R. on February 2nd, 2018 1:37 pm

I have never had Korean food. This is very interesting and I will keep this in mind for when I try it. I have no doubt that it is a very healthy side. Any type of food is healthier than what Americans make.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • A Cancer Fighting Food?

Food

You’ll Give Thanks to Franks For the Memories

• Food

Making Pancakes with Alex

• Food

What a Piece of Cake

• A Cancer Fighting Food?

Food

S’mores Notebooks…

• A Cancer Fighting Food?

Food

Chocolate Caramel cupcakes – A treat from heaven

• Food

Going Bananas for Banana Bread

• A Cancer Fighting Food?

Food

Not Yo Momma’s Cooking

• Food

We’re In The Past of Mexican Food

• Food

Delicious Treats From Heaven

• A Cancer Fighting Food?

Food

Ba da ba ba ba. IT’S CHEAP!

Navigate Right