The Tiger Tribune

Croquet: Is it Dead?

Orion H., Blogger

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

So you want to know the history of croquet? It’s the best sport on the planet.

This sport was born in the British Isles around the 1850s. Paille Maille, the original name of the game, was played the same way as today. The All England Croquet Club was formed in 1868. It became a famous sport and was played in Wimbledon. They became tennis courts late on. Those darn tennis players took over our sport. Surprisingly Egypt and Japan even played and it was a pretty popular worldwide sport. The genius behind this sport is Miss MacNaghten. Thanks to this woman the best sport was created. Many people play this sport and it is getting more popular.

I have played this game since I was five. I always had a mallet in my hand. My family had a backyard set for croquet. It’s been great and means a lot to me. I am the best player in my family. I want to go pro with this sport and make it to the big leagues. My favorite player is Kevin Beard because he is really good.

They sell sets for your backyard. This is played a little different and has its own backyard rules. This game may seem very easy, but it isn’t. It is just like chess, even though the rules are simple there is a lot of strategy involved. You may think that all you have to do is swing the mallet, but there’s more to it. Like with many sports, strategy is key.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Croquet: Is it Dead?”

1. Shawn P. on May 9th, 2017 8:15 am

I like how you said some history about croquet.

2. Patrick B. on May 9th, 2017 8:19 am

I really like this blog! I did not know that croquet was born in Britain! I also did not know that you have been playing since you were five. That is a long time. I have only been playing for about three years and I am not that good.

3. Carolynne B. on May 9th, 2017 8:21 am

Orion, I didn’t realize that there was so much effort being put into croquet. I hope you achieve your dream of making it big in the croquet world one day.

4. Kennedy S. on May 9th, 2017 8:23 am

I like how you added your personal experience with croquet. I also like how you put background information in the beginning.

5. Celeste C. on May 9th, 2017 8:25 am

I enjoyed reading this blog because it talked about the history of croquet.

6. Isaac O. on May 9th, 2017 8:37 am

I liked how you told the history of the sport. You even talked about yourself and said you were the best in the family. So if you really like it, you should practice and try to go pro.

7. Jacob C. on May 14th, 2017 10:20 pm

Orion i didnt know you’ve been playing croquet since you were five. That’s fascinating. This blog also informed me about the history of croquet.

8. Erik A. on November 20th, 2017 6:22 pm

I think croquet is a sport not well remembered, but thinking of this sport brings back the iconic thought of how popular this sport used to be.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left

Softball Blog

• Croquet: Is it Dead?

Sports

Off the Mat: My Cheer Story and Struggles

• Croquet: Is it Dead?

Sports

Mike Trout: No Longer Good?

• Croquet: Is it Dead?